Throwing up can be one of your worst experiences ever. But, in some situations, vomiting becomes necessary so much so as to save a life. And for that specific reason, you must at least have basic knowledge about the techniques to induce vomiting or How To Make Yourself Throw Up.
Throwing up(Vomiting) is a natural mechanism your body uses to get rid of toxins and substances that make you sick, but inducing the vomit needs to be done with extreme care.
One usually can’t help but bear vomiting when they’re sick. But considering that it can be both awful as well as painful, voluntarily inducing puke is not something people look forward to. Ayurveda advocates something called emesis therapy, which, when performed in a controlled and monitored environment, cleanses and restores the body naturally.
However, it should be tried as a last resort because throwing up can be dangerous and even life-threatening in some cases.
Thus, as a precautionary measure, you should know when not to throw up.
When Not to Throw Up:
There can be instances when throwing up can actually be more harmful than the good it’s supposed to be. Following are the cases where you must refrain from throwing up:
● Don’t throw up if you have ingested corrosives or poisons. You should refrain from throwing up in such cases until a physician or doctor explicitly tells you to. Throwing up corrosives can harm your digestive tract; the poison can enter your lungs (which is a life-threatening situation in itself). Trying to throw up the corrosive can actually enhance its action as it may get mixed up pretty fast; vomiting can interfere with more effective treatments.
● Don’t throw up if you have ingested substances that can froth. Frothing substances include detergents, soaps, shampoos, etc. These light weighted substances can enter your lungs and airways which can lead to inflammation, swelling, and burns.
● Don’t throw up if you’ve ingested solids or sharp objects. If you’ve ingested solid objects such as coins, toys, buttons or rings, you should never try to throw up as these substances can damage your respiratory tract and even block it, leading to immediate choking,
● Don’t throw up if you’ve ingested Acidic substances. Acidic substances such as bleach, mild acids and pesticides should not exit by vomiting as these can damage your esophagus, throat, and mouth.
● Petroleum products such as kerosene, gasoline, Vaseline, and diesel have a high risk of reaching your airways while throwing up which can lead to massive burns in your throat, respiratory tract, and mouth.
● Don’t throw up as a weight loss method. some people try to vomit as a weight loss method. It can lead to severe complications such as bulimia, damaging your teeth, causing severe malnutrition and endangering your life.
Knowing the situations when you should refrain from vomiting. Now, it’s time to know what actually are ways in which you can throw up yourself.
Ways to Throw Up Yourself:
1. Using your index finger or toothbrush:
Using your own finger is probably one of the oldest methods to induce vomiting. However, If you don’t want to bring your finger into this, you also have the option of using your toothbrush. Both work by activating your gag reflex. Always clean your finger or toothbrush, whichever you’re using, before attempting this.
See Also: How To Use Coconut Oil For Hair Growth
● Tickle your uvula or push your finger to the back your throat to activate your gag reflex. Continue this until you feel some kind of nausea and then remove your finger quickly when you feel the vomit coming. This is the safest and fastest way to throw up.
● If you’re using a toothbrush, first wet the bristles to soften them. Tickle the back of your tongue with the bristles. When you start feeling nauseated, pull the toothbrush out of the way.
● Thoroughly clean your finger or toothbrush after using it. You may want to discard your toothbrush after this even after knowing that the toothbrush is safe to use either way.
2. Take emetics
If you don’t want to use your finger or have gag reflex next to nil, take emetics instead. Emetics are over-the-counter drugs which can be found in any medical store that trigger vomiting by causing contractions in your stomach. To prevent side effects, take emetics only in small amounts.
Follow these steps if you decided to take ipecac:
● Follow the directions on the syrup bottle.
● Drink 1 to 2 glasses of water of 8 to 16 ounces after taking emetic syrup.
● If vomiting doesn’t occur within 30 minutes, repeat the dose.
● If the second dose doesn’t work, contact your doctor immediately
The syrup of Ipecac is one of the most common emetics, and it can be found at almost all the pharmaceuticals.
3. Bloodroot herb:
Bloodroot is a medicinal herb that was used to treat fever, cancers, and induce vomiting.
● Boil 1 teaspoon of bloodroot roots in 1 cup of water.
● After boiling, let it be for 20 minutes.
● Strain the solution
● Drink it warm.
However, bloodroot can have toxic components that make it unsafe to use. High concentrations of bloodroot can cause death.
4. Drinking Salt Water:
Add 2 to 3 teaspoons of simple table salt to a glass of warm water. Stir well to dissolve the salt completely. Try to drink the entire glass full of salt water in one go. Allow it to work for 20 to 30 minutes. It can effectively expel the contents of your stomach. Follow it up with your finger or toothbrush if you don’t throw up after 30 minutes.
5. Drinking Mustard Solution:
Mix 1 tablespoon of mustard into a glass of warm water. A mustard solution is a readily available emetic which can be made at home. You need not go any further than your kitchen to find some mustard. Drink the mustard solution and wait for about 30 minutes to let it work. The taste, looks, and smell of a homemade mustard solution will also help you build nausea.
6. Consuming Aerated Drinks:
Aerated drinks like coca cola should be consumed in large quantities to self-induce vomiting. The fuzzy nature of aerated drinks can be helpful if you want to throw up yourself.
What to Do After Throwing Up
It’s important to help your body and digestive tract to recover from the effects you feel after vomiting.
Here’s what you can do:
● Just after vomiting, rinse and gargle with plain water to remove stomach acid from your mouth, throat, and teeth. This will keep your tooth enamel safe. Do not brush your teeth immediately after vomiting to avoid erosion of tooth enamel which is already softened by stomach acid. Instead, wait at least about ½ hour before brushing your teeth.
● Start sipping small amounts of water after you steep feeling nausea to rehydrate your body. If you want, lemon water can also, be a good alternative.
● Herbals teas are very good for improving your digestion and protecting your esophagus. The best teas for digestion are ginger, fennel, citrus fruits, artichoke, chamomile and Melissa tea. Ginger tea is very effective at fighting nausea, and chamomile tea can also reduce spasms.
● Vomiting makes your body lose nutrients and fluids. Thus, you need some time to rest and recover. To allow your body to heal, you should stay in bed and take regular naps.
The best methods to make yourself puke are using your index finger to induce gag reflex, taking emetics like syrup of ipecac or watching other people vomit to stimulate nausea.
Avoid untested folk remedies for vomitings, such as salt water, mustard water, and bloodroot, as they can cause harmful side effects.
Vomiting can also harm your digestive tract, so be very sure to take care of your body after you have blurted out the dangerous substances making you ill.