Stretch Marks also called striae when the skin changes its shape or the skin cannot keep up with the growth of the body. Weight gain may also cause stretch marks but that does not mean there is anything wrong with your health. Stretch marks can be seen in both men and women. And pregnancy and puberty are two such stages when one is likely to get these stretch marks. While stretch marks are more prominent on the thighs, upper arms, and abdominal area, they can appear anywhere where the body has experienced a change in size, generally the back. Over 50 percent of women experience stretch marks during pregnancy. Treating stretch marks on the Back can help them reduce the intensity however they usually fade naturally with time.
Stretch marks are scars or disfiguring lesions that at first stretch marks appear as a thin purple or red line on the back that then later gets surrounded by skin layer of different textures. Slowly they look like translucent layers. So if you are suffering from highly intense Stretch marks on the back and want to get rid of them then here we are suggesting you with some best remedies to try out.
Signs and Symptoms
As told earlier stretch marks generally begin to appear as thin and pink lines. During their emergence, you may also feel irritated or itchy.
Initially marks look like wrinkly, raised streaks that are red, purple, pink, reddish-brown or dark brown in color depending on skin texture. The streaks eventually fade and flatten that tends to change to a silvery color over time hence becoming less noticeable over years.
Causes of Stretch Marks
Shrinkage or extreme growth of body can lead to stretch marks. Apart from this, there are many other causes and risk factors involved with stretch marks on the back.
- Majority of women experience stretch marks during pregnancy or after the birth of baby.
- Puberty that is rapid growth is typical in young people and can lead to stretch marks.
- Putting on a lot of weight or rapid gain of weight can cause stretch marks.
- Certain medical conditions can cause stretch marks like Marfan syndrome and Cushing’s syndrome. These conditions lead to decreased elasticity in the skin tissue.
- Prolonged use of corticosteroid creams and lotions results in decreasing levels of collagen in the skin. Hence a reduced amount increases the risk of stretch marks.
- Some stretch marks also appear due to heredity conditions.
10 Best Remedies for Stretch marks on the Back
One cannot get rid of stretch marks in a completely natural way. However, there are certain remedies that can minimize the appearance of stretch marks making them fade more quickly.
Sugar- Skin Exfoliate
The first remedy in the list of top 10 best remedies for stretch marks on the back is to use sugar. Some feel sugar as a homeopathic microdermabrasion method. Microdermabrasion is performed by a dermatologist and is considered as a clinically proven method. It is likely to make stretch marks fade. It is simple to apply for simply rubbing a sugar scrub on the skin will exfoliate the area.
How to use it-
- Take a tablespoon full of sugar.
- Mix almond oils and lemon juice in it.
- Stir it for some time and then apply the mixture directly on the stretch marks on the back.
- Take a shower after 10-20 minutes.
Potato juice is very effective in getting rid of stretch marks. Potato contains starch that has emollient properties to soothe the skin. The presence of antioxidants in potatoes helps in removing stretch marks. Potato juice has some vitamins and natural minerals as well that are effective against stretch marks on the back. Potato is a great source of Vitamin C, potassium, thiamine, riboflavin, folate, magnesium, phosphorous, iron and zinc.
How to apply it-
- Cut a slice of potato.
- Rub it gently on the marks.
- Stop rubbing when the slices get dried up.
- Take a bath after 10-15 minutes.
There is a lot of evidence that Aloe Vera acts as a stretch mark cure. Pure and natural aloe vera is both a natural healing agent and a skin softener. It is the most effective way to get rid of stretch marks on the back. Aloe Vera leaves secrete a clear gel when broken off from the rest of the plant and hence can be applied to heal wounds. It also contains plant collagen that hugely helps repair the skin.
You can apply Aloe Vera in the following manner-
- Remove the outer layer of the aloe vera leaf.
- Squeeze out the sticky gel from the inside of the leaf.
- Then use this gel on stretch marks on the back.
- Wash off with water after two or three hours.
Cocoa butter is also effective for fading of stretch marks on the back. It is believed to hydrate your skin and make it smooth. It penetrates deep to the layers of the skin and replenishes the damaged cells. It is rich in antioxidants and Vitamin E.
Apply cocoa butter in the following manner-
- Take ingredients as 1/2 cup cocoa butter, 1 tablespoon wheat germ oil, 2 teaspoons beeswax, 1 tablespoon apricot oil, 1 tablespoon vitamin E oil, 1 tablespoon kernel oil
- Prepare a mixture of all the ingredients.
- Heat it till the beeswax melts completely.
- Store this mixture in an airtight container in your refrigerator.
- Apply for the stretch marks and massage for few minutes.
- Use it twice a day for a couple of months.
Castor oil is another one of the best remedies to cure stretch marks on the back. Castor oil stimulates the production of collagen and elastin that resumes the shape of skin after stretching. One can also use castor oil to remove some other unwanted marks like moles, wrinkles, dark spots, and fine lines.
How to use it-
- Message castor oil on the affected areas in a circular motion for 15 minutes.
- Wrap it with a thin cotton cloth.
- You can also apply heat with a hot water bottle for 20 minutes.
Olive oil is said to contain about four major antioxidants. It acts as a cleanser, moisturizer, and protector of skin. Among these antioxidants, the most effective are Vitamin A and Vitamin E. that neutralizes the wrinkles, fine lines, and skin dryness. Vitamin A, on the other hand, thickens and stimulates the dermis and reduces wrinkles. These nutrients and antioxidants are known as the best remedies to reduce stretch marks on back.
Apply the olive oil in the following manner-
- Apply lukewarm olive oil on the areas that have stretch marks.
- Wash off with the water.
Lemon juice is one of the well-known stretch marks removal remedy. It contains alpha hydroxyl acids (AHA) and Vitamin C. Vitamin C ensures the production of collagen. It maintains the firmness and strength of the skin. Lemon juice can also be used for tan removal. It has natural ingredients that fade stretch marks.
Follow the steps to apply lemon juice-
- Massage the mixture on the affected areas for 10-15 minutes.
- Then wash it with warm water.
Alfalfa sprout is generally famous for weight loss. But it is equally effective as a remedy for stretch marks. It is rich in Vitamin K, Vitamin E and amino acid that reduces fine lines and skin dryness. Amino acids present in the alfalfa helps to nourish the skin, hair, and nails.
You need to do following things to use this remedy-
- Take alfalfa powder and chamomile oil.
- Mix it for 5 minutes.
- Apply the paste on the stretch marks at the back carefully.
- Leave it for 15 minutes.
- Wash off with water.
Black tea is also considered as an effective remedy for stretch marks. It is rich in vitamins B, C and E. Along with this it acts as a great source of minerals like magnesium, potassium, and zinc. Vitamin B complex increases the beauty by improving the hair, skin, and nails. Vitamin B12 regulates the skin’s pigmentation and prevents hyperpigmentation and age spots.
You can apply it in the following manner-
- Boil 2 tablespoons of black tea and 1 teaspoon of salt in water.
- Boil it for 2 minutes.
- Allow it to cool.
- Apply it on the stretch marks.
Applying turmeric regularly is the best way to get rid of stretch marks. It has got great value as it is full of antioxidants. It has anti-inflammatory and skin-lightening properties as well. The application of turmeric will reduce the dark patches of your skin and the stretch mark scars. After a few weeks, the stretch marks will fade away.
How to Apply-
- Mix the turmeric along with the cream or yogurt.
- Form the paste
- Apply the paste on the stretch marks.
- Let it dry for 10-15 minutes.
- Rinse with warm water and moisturize.
- Repeat twice a day
Well, these were some of the best home remedies that are best to get rid of stretch marks on the back. Try any of them for all are easy to apply and equally effective to fade away your stretch marks.