Tooth pain is the father of all the pains. But remedies of home are always the cure for any kind of pain. An abscessed tooth is generally the term used to describe the infection of the tooth. The tooth infection occurs at the root of the tooth or between the tooth and a gum. A tooth infection builds up when the bacteria attack your teeth and results in the formation of pus. An abscess or tooth decay is formed when tooth enamel is damaged because of a cavity or another injury. Tooth infection is extremely painful and no antibiotics give immediate relief. Well, if you woke up in the morning and are suffering badly from a toothache then look for no other survival tricks. Because no matter what home remedies are the best cure.
What is Tooth Infection?
As discussed above tooth infection is generally caused by bacteria or plaque inside the tooth. If your teeth are broken or chipped then tooth infection is very common to occur. Bacteria reaches the center of the tooth and as a result, pus accumulates. The pus makes teeth swell up and results in a toothache. Tooth infection is the complications of oral infection or cavities. It then continues to spread over all the other teeth and mouth.
Causes of Tooth Infection
There are many reasons that lead to sore tooth or tooth infection and some of the reasons are-
- Dental hygiene is important for food and dental plaque is a favorable environment for bacteria to grow.
- Tooth decay also increases the risk of infection that causes the area around the marrow and water to swell, soak and cause abscesses.
- Including the high amount of sugar in your diet makes your teeth vulnerable to tooth decay.
- Lastly, people suffering from diabetes or receiving radiation cancer treatment or have other medical problems are more likely to run the risk of developing a tooth abscess
Symptoms of Teeth Infection
If you do not want to run into diagnosis so keep in mind these symptoms and rescue the pain with home remedies.
- Gum pain and toothache are the most common symptoms of tooth infection.
- If you feel stingy after eating too hot or cold or spicy then you may be at risk of infection.
- It may happen that pus in the tooth may make you taste bitter.
- Tooth infection may cause the mouth to develop an unpleasant odor.
- In case of severe inflammation, fever may be a sign.
- As the infection spreads deeper into the jaw, the swelling spreads across the face.
10 Home Remedies for Tooth Infection
The numbing pain in the tooth during infection can be cured using various home remedies. Few of the most effective home remedies are mentioned here.
Garlic is one of the most useful and popular food ingredients. It has anti-inflammatory and natural antibiotic properties that make it highly effective for treating an abscessed tooth. It is full of antibacterial and healing properties that directly attacks the bacteria in the mouth. So try chewing the garlic in case of a toothache.
To take garlic follow the instructions
- Remove garlic skin and wash cloves of garlic thoroughly
- Take one to two garlic pieces and put in an infected tooth
- Crush or chew garlic by your teeth
- Chew for 30 seconds
- Split it out
- Rinse your mouth with warm water
Chrysanthemum is no stranger ingredient to us. It is a herb that is capable of healing tooth pain. The active and effective ingredient in chrysanthemum is an essential oil, Bisabolol. It is considered to have anti-irritant, anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties.
Follow the steps to use it for tooth infection-
- Take clean 5 chrysanthemum petals
- Pound the petals into the container
- Squeeze this water to drink
- Use regularly for 1 month
Coconut or olive oil both prove to be an Ayurvedic practice that heals the decayed tooth or get rid of painful gums. It helps in reducing the number of bacteria in the mouth as it draws the toxins out. It promotes oral health. You can use olive oil in combination with clove oil as it contains oleocanthal, tyrosol that is anti-inflammatory and has an analgesic effect.
Follow the steps to try this home remedy
- Put 1 tablespoon of extra-virgin coconut oil in your mouth.
- Put it in your mouth for at least 15 minutes. Do not swallow it.
- Wait for 15 minutes and then spit it out.
- Rinse your mouth with warm water.
- Repeat the process twice daily.
Ginger is an indispensable spice. Ginger has both nutritional and medicinal value. It has antibacterial properties and can heal infections, tooth wounds, redness and swelling Hence it is listed as one of the most effective home remedies for tooth infection. You can use this remedy in the following manner-
- Take a fresh smelling ginger
- Do not peel off ginger skin but wash with water
- Chop ginger into small slices the put on the infected tooth
- Extract juice from the ginger bulb and shake it around the tooth with your tongue
- Chew pieces of ginger until they begin to soften and smooth
- Continue chewing for five minutes, then spit ginger powder into a tissue paper to remove.
- Repeat the process from 7 to 10 days
Black Tea Bag
Another best home remedy to cure tooth infection is the black tea that has astringent properties. It helps to reduce swelling and inflammation as it puts pressure on the nerves healing them. The tannins present in the tea bag contains antioxidants and fights infection promoting good oral hygiene.
Follow the given steps to use this home remedy-
- Soak a black tea bag in warm water for a few minutes.
- Remove and squeeze it out.
- Put the tea bag on the affected tooth.
- Leave it there for few hours or overnight.
- Rinse your mouth with a warm salt-water solution.
- Repeat once daily for a couple of weeks.
Generally to treat injuries ice cubes are used. It is very effective in curing swelling and works quickly for relieving pain. To try this ice cube home remedy place ice directly on the affected area. This will make it pain worse but will be effective. Eating ice cream can also be a cure for the tooth infection.
- Wrap an ice pack or ice cube in a towel
- Place it outside the mouth for about 10-12 minutes.
- When you feel too cold then remove the ice pack
Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is another very effective home remedy that you can try for an abscessed tooth. It contains anti-inflammatory and disinfectant properties. It is capable of reducing pain and inflammation. In addition, it also disinfects the affected area.
You can use Apple cider vinegar in 2 ways-
- Posh 1 tablespoon of raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar in your mouth for about few minutes. Spit it out completely, make sure you do not swallow it. Now rinse your mouth with warm water. Repeat this process for few times a day.
- Else you can mix 1 teaspoon of raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar in a glass of water and drink it two times daily.
Papaya has got nutritional values and is great for oral health. The anti-inflammatory effect of papaya is due to compounds like papain and chymopapain. It reduces inflammation and heals the abscessed tooth. The young papaya leaves play a significant role in reducing tooth infection and inhibits the growth of bacteria in the treatment of cavities.
The way to use papaya is quite simple:
- Take small and green papaya
- Cut the papaya in the resin
- Take cotton wool wrapped in toothpicks
- Soak the cotton ball with resin
- Put it in the toothache
- Drain about 10-15 minutes then spit out.
- Rinse mouth with clean water
- Repeat several times a day
Turmeric is considered an “herbal medicine”. It cures tooth infection as it has an analgesic effect that inhibits bacterial attacks and prevents it from spreading. It has no side effects. The main ingredient of turmeric is curcumin, with high antimicrobial and antiseptic properties the effect of which similar to many antibiotics. Curcumin, widely used medicine kills and prevents cavities.
Follow the given steps to use turmeric-
- Take turmeric powder and mix with a little water to make a mixture
- Apply the mixture on the infected tooth
- Leave until the aching pain is relieved
- Rinse mouth with water
Salt has antiseptic and antibacterial properties. It reduces inflammation, eases pain and even draws out any infection. It prevents the growth of bacteria in the mouth. There are two ways in which you can use salt to treat abscessed tooth-
Gargle with Salt Water
- Add 1 teaspoon of salt to a glass of lukewarm water. Dissolve the salt completely.
- Rinse your mouth with this solution.
- Do this 2 or 3 times a day to clear the infection and reduce pain.
Salt with Ginger
Salt and ginger inhibit the growth of bacteria so you can combine both to treat tooth infection.
- Crush ginger to make a paste and add salt to the paste
- Put mixture into a cloth.
- Squeeze to collect the fresh juice
- Apply this juice evenly all over the infected tooth
- Leave it for 10 minutes.
- Rinse off with warm water.
- Repeat treatment twice a week for positive results
So these were some of the best or top 10 home remedies that you can use to get rid of the tooth infection. The home remedies can never betray you and hence will prevent you from losing your teeth.